5 Companies Financially Gaining From The Coronavirus Pandemic
Another week in quarantine is upon us and we continue to join over a quarter of the world’s population in isolation.
The human impact of coronavirus is of course of prime importance. However, the economic repercussions are also highly significant. As a financial services marketing agency, we’re hawkish about the latest market movements. So, this week we thought we’d see which companies are financially gaining from the global pandemic. Then we’ll offer up our usual rundown of the most volatile market events coming up this week. Let’s do it!
There are a number of companies gaining financially from the current viral pandemic. Here’s the top 5:
1. Netflix Inc. (NFLX)
Price on 02.01: 329.81 USD
Price on 27.03: 352.12 USD
Reason: Investors are betting that more people will begin to stream entertainment from home while they’re cooped up there trying to find things to do to pass the time. It seems that those investors were right, streaming in Europe has increased so much that the company has had to reduce the quality of their video to lessen the strain on internet service providers.
2. Zoom Video Communications Inc. (ZM)
Price on 02.01: 68.72 USD
Price on 27.03: 151.70 USD
Reason: The standout performer in this list. Just look at those numbers! Investors have been banking on more people turning to video conference meetings when stuck at home. Investors were right!
3. Moderna Inc. (MRNA)
Price on 02.01: 19.23 USD
Price on 27.03: 30.05 USD
Reason: Over the last few weeks, Moderna, the Massachusetts-based biotechnology company, has made several in-roads into developing a vaccine for COVID-19. It’s even shipped one of them for human trials. Investors are betting big on this company being the one that comes up with the life-saving cure.
4. Lakeland Industries Inc. (LAKE)
Price on 02.01: 10.59 USD
Price on 27.03: 15.56 USD
Reason: Among other things, Lakeland makes hazmat suits, which, funnily enough, have become a little more in-demand of late. Investors are backing this company to be a major supplier over the coming weeks.
5. Slack Technologies Inc. (WORK)
Price on 02.01: 23.02 USD
Price on 27.03: 28.58 USD
Percentage change: +24.15%
Reason: Similarly to Zoom, Slack has benefitted from an increased user-base of late, largely due to the fact that more and more people are now using the work-chat app to talk to Janice from Accounts from the comfort of our own living room (and pyjamas!). This seems to be a good option for investors.
So, there you have it. Of course, none of these companies will publicly laud the fact that their books are looking quite toasty. But if you are in the market now, these companies might be worth a look.
What’s going on in the markets this week?
We get it, when it comes to analysing the markets, it’s not always easy, especially these days. But, we’re here to help! Here’s our roundup of what we think will be the most volatile moments this coming week.
● The UK will announce its quarterly GDP (GBP) on Tuesday, brace yourself for that. This will be followed up by Germany’s unemployment rate figures (EUR) and the wider EU’s Consumer Price Index (YoY for March) (EUR).
● On Wednesday, ADP releases its US Unemployment Change figures (USD). This will be followed by the ISM Manufacturing Employment Index (USD) and the Manufacturing PMI (USD). Big announcements for USD traders. Actually, the rest of the week belongs to YOU greenback enthusiasts…
● On Thursday, we’ll hear the Initial Jobless Claims (USD).
● Finally, Friday will play host to some biggies: The US Nonfarm Payrolls (Mar) and Average Hourly Earnings (YoY), as well as the Unemployment Rate (Mar), and the ISM non-Manufacturing PMI and ISM non-Manufacturing Employment Index (all USD).
Do you think your traders or investors might dig an article like this? A topical, informative piece, with a light-hearted twist? Maybe you’re looking for some other kind of finance-related content? We’re your team! Get in touch with Contentworks today.
The Contentworks team